I didn’t realise what was in my deodorants and have used several deodorant brands over the years, both roll-on and sprays. As they are sold and are made to specifications that are regulated, you’d think that they must be good for you and it wasn’t until I started making natural soap and body butter that I started questioning what goes into these products.
In this article we’ll cover:
What Ingredients Are Typically Used in Deodorants?
The specific ingredients in deodorants can vary depending on the brand and type of product, but most deodorants contain some or all of the following ingredients:
- Antimicrobial agents: These are substances that kill or inhibit the growth of odour-causing bacteria on the skin. Common antimicrobial agents found in deodorants include triclosan, triclocarban, and benzalkonium chloride.
- Fragrances: Deodorants often contain fragrances to mask any remaining odour and provide a pleasant scent. These fragrances may be synthetic or natural.
- Aluminium compounds: Aluminium compounds such as aluminium chlorohydrate or aluminium zirconium are used in antiperspirant deodorants to block sweat glands and reduce sweating.
- Emollients: Emollients such as glycerin or propylene glycol are used in deodorants to moisturise and soothe the skin.
- Thickening agents: Thickening agents such as silica or talc are used in deodorants to create a smooth, even texture and help the product adhere to the skin.
- Other ingredients: Deodorants may also contain other ingredients such as preservatives, skin conditioners, and colourants.
What Are the Benefits of Natural Deodorants?
Natural deodorants have become increasingly popular in recent years due to the potential health risks associated with some of the chemicals found in traditional deodorants. Here are some potential benefits of using natural deodorants:
- They’re typically free from harmful chemicals such as aluminium, parabens, and phthalates, which have been linked to health concerns like breast cancer and hormone disruption.
- Natural deodorants often contain ingredients like baking soda, cornstarch, and essential oils, which can help absorb moisture and neutralise odours.
- They may be gentler on the skin, especially for those with sensitive skin, as they are less likely to cause irritation or allergic reactions.
- Some people have reported that natural deodorants have helped improve the overall health and appearance of their underarms.
- Using natural deodorants can also have environmental benefits as they often come in eco-friendly packaging and use sustainably sourced ingredients.
Do Natural Deodorants Actually Work?
Natural deodorants can be effective at controlling odour and sweat. Many natural deodorants use ingredients such as baking soda, arrowroot powder, and essential oils that work to absorb moisture and neutralise odour. At My Cottage Cosmetics, we don’t use baking soda, as it can still cause issues, and use diatomaceous earth and a derivative of castor oil that offers an anti-microbial element to the formula. However, it’s important to note that natural deodorants may not work as well for everyone, and it may take some time to find the right one that works for your body.
What Happens to Your Body When You Start Using Natural Deodorant?
When you switch to natural deodorant, your body may go through a “detox” period, where it adjusts to the new formula. This detox period can vary in length and severity for different people but usually lasts for a few days to a few weeks. During this time, your body may sweat more and produce stronger odours as it expels the build-up of toxins and chemicals from your previous deodorant. This is a natural process and a sign that your body is adjusting to the new formula. Some people may also experience mild irritation or redness in the underarm area as their skin adapts to the new ingredients. However, these symptoms should subside as your body adjusts to the natural deodorant.
Is Switching to a Natural Deodorant Worth It?
Switching to a natural deodorant can be worth it for those with health concerns, skin sensitivity, or environmental concerns. However, it may take some trial and error to find a natural deodorant that works well for you.
At My Cottage Cosmetics, we have a range of homemade natural deodorants that you can start your journey with today!